Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Whew!

Well, yesterday was all we expected it to be--full of all the range of emotions! Overall, we felt very, very loved. Glenwood is a special place. The party last night was just wonderful. We walked in (just a tad late, so that no one would feel bad for arriving after us:) to a sea of Hawaiian shirts and colorful decor. It was the loudest room I've ever seen, visually I mean! I had someone else take pictures for me, and I'm already regretting not getting one of our whole family together with various people. I was so overwhelmed I wasn't thinking very clearly.

The teens made us cry with their sweet words, the worship team wrote a few songs as a tribute to Ben, they interviewed children on video, they gave us gifts--a money tree in a beautiful hand-painted ceramic pot with the scripture, "How great the love the Father has lavished on us--that we should be called children of God" and huge personalized plastic buckets for each of the kids, filled with toys and treasures especially for each. As I write, Alex and Katy are wearing their monogrammed "towel wraps". I can't help but laugh as I remember the first time I saw a towel wrap. I think it was a Tod's high school graduation gift. Do you remember, family? I remember us trying to figure out what it was--"a hat? a terradactyl?"

One of the most special parts of the night was probably the elders, each taking a turn to speak words of love and affirmation to us. It was beautiful, and very tearful for everyone. One who has never cried in public couldn't even finish what he had to say. (Again, our videographer didn't get this. We didn't know what to tell her to videotape!)

This morning I have a cry-hangover, but my heart feels very full. We have given this church all we had to give, and God has made it good. We are ready to set our hearts and minds in a new direction, confident that Glenwood loves us and will always be our "home" in many ways, and confident that God is going with us into this next adventure!

He is requiring us to walk by faith. Still no offers on the house, still no word from the missions committee that gives us the freedom to start fundraising. So, we wait on the Lord. We have had some very good and helpful conversations in the last week, and we feel like we are being as open and honest as we can be. God is moving, and I still believe this story is going to be great when it's all over!

Meanwhile, we are delighted to hear about your adventures, Mitch. I can't wait to hear about the fishing trip! By the way, your Portuguese may be better than mine by the time you get home!

5 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Rita said...

From Mom...Trisha, it sounds like they did it right. What wonderful people they are. I am so proud of them for giving you a great send-off. Any nibbles on the house? My prayers are with you during this challenging transition. You are living your faith story for your children and grandchildren to see. I love you, Mom

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Trisha said...

Yes, we did get an offer on the house yesterday afternoon. It was quite low, and she made several demands for repairs (sprinkler system and garage ceiling) as well. It just didn't feel good to us. We're trying to work with her, but also praying for someone to come and look and make a better offer today! We're going to get estimates on the repairs she wants us to make and probably tell her we'll accept her 2nd offer of $125,000 and will fix the sprinklers but not the garage ceiling. (It's been the way it is since before we moved in and were told it was just cosmetic, not structural.) I'm very frustrated and disappointed. Sandie came by this morning to give us some boxes for packing and said, "Well, see, you just shouldn't have decided to move." Not exactly encouragement!

These are the faith-building days. Thank you for your prayers and your love! We need them!
love,
Trisha

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Trisha your post brought back to many memories for me. I still remember our goodbye party at Memorial Road...lots of pictures of Judy and I crying...both of us holding babies. We left knowing that the church loved us and that we would always consider it home in some way just like you. Very hard night...cry-hangover describes the next day well. Unless you have done church work the emotions are hard to describe...it is so unlike leaving any other job...because it is so much more than a job. You are on my heart right now and I'm praying peace for you and Ben.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

Thanks, Lee Ann, for your prayers. I know God is sustaining us through the prayers of people we love. We are so grateful.

Love,
Trisha

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

By the way, how do you spell terradactyl? pteradactyl? Somethings not right...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home