Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Grandma blogs again

Well, we haven't heard a word from our fishermen, but Leila, Larissa and I are having a ball just doing girl things. I have talked Portuguese until my throat is sore. Yesterday I began telling them my countertop troubles. I explained that after the marble man left the "bombeiro" came to install the faucets, but he couldn't because the holes were in the wrong place. I have given them up to the minute reports of the "bombeiro's" problems and comments, and the need to call in another "bombeiro" for a second opinion. After two days of my stories, Larissa very quietly said, "Mrs. Brown, just one little thing--a bombeiro is a firefighter. The word for plumber is 'encanador.'" We laughed a lot. Leila said she thought it was a little strange that firefighters installed our faucets, but assumed they must do things differently in the US. Just imagine what I may say to the ladies' class on Thursday night!

Then Larissa told the story of her first dorm devotional at ACU. We had helped her move in and had brought some hooks for her closet. At the devotional that night they asked if anyone had anything good that had happened they wanted to share. She was so happy that she raised her hand and with typical Larissa gusto told the group that she now had "hookers" in her closet--that nice Mr. and Mrs. Brown had been so kind to bring her some "hookers." She said the whole group just looked at her. Someone finally realized that she was trying to say "hooks" and explained it to her. She said they didn't call on her much after that.

You can tell we are laughing a lot. However, I did get an email from the supervisor at Bosworth plumbing saying that he had been to the house to look at the sinks, and as far as he is concerned "the countertops are drilled wrong and they need to be re-done." From 6000 miles away, I guess we have a problem. Larissa prayed for the situation tonight at dinner.

I am loving the blog. What a wonderful, fun family we have. I loved getting Lee Ann's update from our house. It sounds like the dog circus continues. I loved hearing from Anda and Trisha also. I can't wait to see everyone and give personal hugs. I am assuming Connor's foot is ok now. I haven't heard much from my sons, however. :)

I had my nails done today--one of my Brazilian treats. Leila explained that the place she was taking me was more expensive, but it was a really nice place. She hesitated but finally told me that it would cost almost $12 to get a french manicure and pedicure. I assured her it was not too outrageous. It was a wonderful experience that tempts me to fly back to Brazil every month or so.:)

April and James, are you getting ready for your cruise. I think I got some documents through email, but I am not going to open it until I get home and have access to a good printer. Be sure to get your passport or birth certificate ready.

I will close for now. I love you all so much.
Love, Mom

2 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

Your translation stories made me laugh tonight, Mom! Just what I needed. Today has been sort of hard. The lady came back with an offer of $125,000 still with the demands for the repairs. We're checking to see what the cost will be for those before we respond. I'm inclined to say $126,500 and we'll wait to have an inspection before we agree to any specific repairs. I don't know.

Then Ben called 2 elders to be sure it will be okay to send out letters inviting people to a fundraising dessert meeting in 2 weeks, after YouthWAVE. At first both said great. Bill even said we had been more than gracious in waiting for them. Then Kyle called back and said he really thinks they need to take it to all the elders first, and they won't do it until Sunday. After a very unhappy initial response to that, we've both calmed down to submission to our leaders and waiting again.

I spent the rest of the afternoon crying in the shower as I bleached (I think I inhaled a few too many fumes), then re-caulked our tub. It looks wonderful. Katy came in and asked what I was doing. I told her I was caulking the tub and she said, "Mom, you're a genius!" That's my girl!

Tomorrow is another day! And God is still good...

I'm glad you're laughing a lot! Give Leila and the girls hugs for us. I know your ministry to them is a beautiful offering to God, and you get your nails done too! What a great deal!

I love you,
Trisha

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger April Cogburn said...

Wow! What a great price for getting your nails done. It costs about that much just to get a manicure here in the states, let alone trying to get a pedicure included in that price. Makes me want to visit Brazil every few months for that great price. (Besides the wonderful people to visit.) Sounds like you're having fun.

I did find our birth cirtificates and have them in a safe place. I bought a maternity swimsuit at Target, and boy do I look pregnant in it. I guess you'll see at 4th of July.

Tell Leila and Larissa hello for us. I'm taking good care of Larissa's car. We enjoy having it for the summer. It makes it easier for both of us to be able to go to the doctor's appointments.

Have fun the rest of your trip.
Love ya!

April

 

Post a Comment

<< Home