Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Random new knowledge!

The kids and I just got home from Lubbock--a quick surprise trip to celebrate my friend Jana's birthday with her. I don't think I've ever driven the road from Odessa to Lubbock before--Hwy. 385, I think. It's a wonderful little drive. We passed field after field of cotton, and even stopped and picked a few pieces (boles?). But I had no idea we were surrounded by so many peanut farms! Who knew!

I remember cotton from driving to Lamesa, but not peanuts. There are 3 or 4 very large peanut processing plants on that little highway.

Oh the vast treasures yet to be discovered in West Texas!

Just thought I'd share!

1 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger James said...

One of my favorite childhood memories was on trips between Sweetwater and Dublin-Deleon (where dad's family was from). When we would go visit, we'd go through Abilene to Eastland and then down Hwy 6. We'd stop at the peanut processing plant and buy some fresh roasted peanuts. Mmmmmm.

Unfortunately, they closed that plant in the mid-90's. Still, this message and trips through Gorman remind me of the taste and smell of fresh peanuts.

Peanut butter anyone?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home