Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

'Tis done

Praise God, it's over. The overall mood of the meeting was very, very positive. I was proud of our elders, proud of my husband, and grateful to God for giving me a gentle spirit when I spoke. I don't know what happened between Thursday and today, but something did. The facilitator was one of my favorite men, Gene. He reminds me of Dad in many ways. He affirmed us, spoke kind words of love, asked that we be kind in our words about what has happened when we talk to people, and that we build unity, which he affirmed that he knew we would do anyway. He acknowledged that there has been some tension and that people are already talking. He told us that the elders are going to send out a letter to every member of Glenwood stating why the church is not supporting us corporately, but encouraging them to prayerfully consider supporting us individually. Ben read a statement to them affirming them and expressing our love, ending with Phil. 1:3-11. We read the letter they were planning to send and asked that one sentence be reworded (they removed it altogether). They prayed over us and it was done. They were all very affectionate toward us, saying they hope we will come back often and that Glenwood will always be our home. One kept saying, "It's going to be good!" about our mission.

The reason they are stating for not supporting us is that they want to focus their priority on "areas that are underserved and have little or no churches." We're okay with that, although it's clear that there is still lack of understanding or agreement about why we should plant churches.

No mention of Stadia was made, either in the conversation or the letter.

All in all, our elders were the men we've known up until now--encouraging, supportive, full of love for us. At the beginning of this process, we told them that what we really wanted from them is for them to be our senders--to give us their blessing. They did that tonight. We left them in a spirit of joy, mutual affection, and great hope for the future. No bitterness, no hurt, no defensiveness.

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Eph. 3:20-21

I love how good God is. I love the way He answers prayer. I love that He is our Peace, our Mediator, our Provider. I just love God.

If the prayers of a righteous man are powerful and effective then you, our family, are righteous men (and women!).

Now on to that task of raising up a support team....

1 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Tod Brown said...

I am so thrilled to hear it. I am feeling a little faithless today. I left Brownwood feeling like I hadn't contributed to the conversation in a way that honored Jesus and encouraged trust. I am glad you experienced the grace of the Lord. May he provide abundantly for your needs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home