Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Not much to say

I don't have much to say, but thought if I post something boring, someone else will find something new and interesting to add!

We enjoyed a day of "rest" from fundraising today as all our appointments fell through. It was nice to focus all our energy on packing, and I'm feeling like it might be possible for us to actually leave here by Friday (with a few late nights!) I keep having to let go of worry about our support. This living by faith thing seems to be more than just a daily letting go, but almost moment by moment.

God has refreshed my spirit in countless ways--a song, words from you, an old note I run across in the packing process, Elijah's delightful laugh.

Tomorrow is our last Sunday at Glenwood. We feel very much like we're already gone. Life has moved on without us in many ways. And yet, this still feels very much like home. I'm sure I will have lots of tears tomorrow--I do just thinking about it! Life is very dependable here. There is something comforting about looking across the auditorium each week and seeing Nelda Cade and Betty McKinney delight in watching my children during worship. I know when Lisa has made our special communion bread because it's especially good on those weeks. I know that when our family walks in the door tomorrow, Wanda Trotter and Faye Huckabay will be delighted to see us and will hug on me, and if I choose not to go to class I can sit in the workroom and visit with them as they drink strong coffee and tally the number of people who do go to class. I know James Stanley will ask me, "How's your heart?" and kiss my cheek with his characteristic "Mm, mm" as he does. I know what church feels like here. And I love it. I treasure it.

And I will love church in Odessa, too. God will grow that love in my heart over time and through joy and pain just as He has done here. Someday I will know the New Life church like I know the Glenwood church. It will be different, I'm sure. But it will come to be home. I'm taking the recipe for our special communion bread, along with special instructions from Lisa, the one who makes it the best--with just a touch of golden brown on the edges and rolled very thin. I will come to love the funny quirks of each member of our new little body. And through it God will do things more amazing and mighty than we can yet imagine. But I don't know them yet. I don't know their stories that have made them who they are. I will, with time.

I will treasure my church tomorrow. I will study their faces and try to imprint them on my heart. I will squeeze all the hugs I can get from them. I will try to look in their eyes and tell them what a blessing they are to me, and my words will not be adequate. I will pray for them as I look across the auditorium and see each one, knowing the pain that is in their hearts. My heart will ache to leave them, knowing I won't be here to encourage and listen and help and love face to face.

But at the same time it leaps with joy in anticipation of the future. I am thrilled to be part of the church God is building in Odessa. I believe we are obeying Him by going, and trust that He will bless our obedience. The story is just going to get better!

So, what do you love about your church?

2 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Alan said...

There are a lot of great things about GCR, but one thing I love about it is the connection through time with so many people there. There is something really comforting in seeing the same people in the same place, and knowing, if they are able, they will be there next week. Having been a part of this church for so long, it just feels like home when I'm there, and home is good.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Mama Brown said...

Just jumping in on the church "survey"! Two things immediately come to mind. The humility of our leadership - I've learned more about taking the "low road" and humbly seeking the Lord from them than anyone I know. The other thing is that I know without a doubt that I am a completely different person than I was 4 years ago because of being a part of the body at CF. Often overwhelmed with gratitude. It's cool the way God planned for us to experience more of Christ through the Church! You are on our hearts right now! Bless you!

Anda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home