Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Monday, July 11, 2005

YouthWave Malibu

It is Monday morning here at YouthWave and I am thinking alot about what Ben started. I continue to believe that the fruit of this event will be seen for many years. Someone once said to me and I have repeated many times, "You can count the seeds in an apple, but you cannot count the apples in a seed." It is fun to see the development of the people who are working here. I am in a very different role than I have ever been at a youthwave event. I am a dad and a sponsor. I am not speaking or training at all. It is kind of weird and wonderful. I love Brian Mashburn and I am really enjoying the ministry God is doing through him. But it is still different to have to be on the kids schedule. They stay up later than I like to and they are in class all morninng. It is good for me to go back to the beginning.

I sure am proud of Hutton and Bailey. They are so good. They exhibit a love for God and a sensitivity to the people around them that makes me very proud. I have to wrestle with how to balance being a sponsor/minister with being their father. The tension between discipling my kids and giving them room to grow is a little tough. Both of them have expressed that they feel the pressure of trying to live up to the family name. I sometimes forget that. Sometimes the family legacy feels like a burden to carry instead of an inheritance to enjoy. We have several kids here without that legacy or with a legacy of an altogether different sort. I know my kids wouldn't trade places, and that line of thinking isn't always helpful. Pray for us. I really want Hutton and Bailey to experience the living Jesus in the fullness he desires.

Grace,
Tod

3 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

I'm remembering our fun week in Malibu last year! We've been thinking of and praying for you guys, especially Matt and the team. I can't wait to hear more about it. Please give those guys (Matt, Brian, Kim, August, etc.) our love.

How cool to get to see this thing through different eyes, especially the eyes of Hutton and Bailey. They are great kids, and are great contributors to "the family name". In fact, they make you look good!

I love you all! Enjoy the beach and have an In-N-Out burger and fries for us!
Trisha

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Tod-
Drove by your house to see the windows and Tim Neale was there doing his "high-tech" stuff so we walked through. I love the way the windows look and especially the way the upstairs room turned out. Your house is really taking shape and I can tell it's going to be beautiful!

Glad YouthWave is going well-I'll be anxious to hear what Bailey & Hutton say about it!

Jill

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Reagan and I are having too much fun! NRH2O today and he is going to VBS at Stephen and Stephanie's church at night. He enjoys the time with mom to himself and I do too. Connor has been too busy to call so I'm guessing he is having fun. I'm busy working on a scrapbook for Alfred and Judy...our Hilton Head years. Can't wait to see the house. I think it is going to be great!! Rita and Jill if they start to paint the outside while I'm gone please go by and check...I picked the color before I left but let me know if you have any doubts and run and stop them if you need to!! I'm so proud of Hutton and Bailey. They are such leaders and sensitive to the people in their lives. I'm very thankful to our family for contributing to their trip...you are a blessing. Tod I love you and I'm proud of you for taking on the new role at Youth Wave...too many of our group would have been very disappointed if you hadn't gone and I know you are blessing them and being blessed. Back to scrapping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home