Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Friday, June 17, 2005

Coming Home!

Well, one last blog before we leave Brazil for home. It has been a wonderful trip. We were up until 2am visiting with Tito and Timoteo's family about their plans to return to Cuiba after Jose Carlos graduates from SerCris in December. We went to their little house for dinner after church. Lourdes had prepared part of one of the huge fishes they brought home, and it was delicious. Hospitality in such a simple home once again has touched my heart. They are such a fine family, and it feels so good to be helping them. You would all love them.

It was so fun to hear Mitch, Tito, Timoteo, and Carol conversing in a very amusing mixture of English and Portuguese for hours. The kids didn't want to go to bed, and everytime I checked on Mitch, he was doing great. At one point Tito had his English-Portuguese dictionary out. I can't begin to describe how proud we are of Mitch. He has worked at learning Portuguese words and charms everyone with his manners expressed in Portuguese. He has tried new food and joined in every activity. He went to Bible class last night and said he understood most of what was said. From time to time I forget and speak to him in Portuguese, and when he responds I realize he understood me in Portuguese. He will have many stories to tell.

Dad taught the men's class, but I didn't have to teach the ladies' class because the lady who normally teaches the class didn't want to give up her territory--people are people wherever you go. Leila was furious. I was relieved.

I am so ready to see everyone, but it will be sad to leave our friends here. We are to have lunch with the couple our family supports. They are so sweet and are doing a wonderful job here. Dad forgot to tell me about them before we came, so I didn't bring any presents for them. I feel horrible. They have a darling baby girl who will turn 1 year old in a few days. Maybe we can put together a family "care package" and send it by mail when I get home. You would love them.

Dad says the key to the trailer is either in the kitchen drawer or the drawer in the utility room. I am afraid the worst news of the trip is that I lost the little digital camera with all Mitch's pictures and many others at the street market Wednesday night. I am just sick about it and don't want to talk about it. We have plenty of pictures from the other camera--probably about 25 rolls--but there were some special ones on that camera. The good news is that other than the cold I have at the moment, we are all absolutely healthy and happy. God has blessed us once again with an incredible trip. The blog has been wonderful. I have enjoyed reading it again and again. It has been an incredible way to feel connected from so far away. I love each and every one of you, and the thoughts from your hearts bless me over and over again.

Anda, I just finished reading "Waking the Dead." It is my new favorite book and I have highlights from cover to cover. Maybe we can discuss it when I get home if you are reading it. Also, of course you are welcome to the scrapbooking stuff. That is what it is for. I can't wait to scrapbook from this trip.

We leave here (Campo Grande) at 6:30 pm for Sao Paulo. Our plane leaves SP late tonight headed for Dallas. We should be back in Midland about 11am Saturday. We have lots of hugs ready for you. (One of the things Mitch had to learn was hugging--Brazilians are huggers.) Leila has just called me for pao de queijo and fresh squeezed orange juice--boy will I miss that!

I love you all, Mom/Grandma

2 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Trisha said...

Mom--
We will be praying for safe travel for you today and tomorrow. I can't wait to hear about your trip!

And I love the care package idea. We (Glenwood) send a monthly package to the Cashes in Uganda and it is such a highlight for them to get our boxes. Although I'm sure this family isn't missing America the way we would, it would be fun to put together some things for them! (I'm already thinking what I will monogram for a baby girl!)

We'll look forward to hearing from you!

Love,
Trisha

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Mama Brown said...

Hey Rita,
So glad you guys are back! I've got a couple of chapters left in Waking the Dead and I have loved it too! Can't wait to talk to you about it!
Love you,
Anda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home