Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Thursday, January 27, 2005

It's Ben, really, it's me

WRITERS BLOG...
I don't know where to start, I think I have writers blog.....It's been a week since we were in Midland at the Stadia Church Planters lab. I've been telling friends in Tyler that it should really be called a "Ministers Self-Discovery Lab." I feel free in a way that I didn't before we went through the process--and it was some kind of process! I wish I could tell you all the names of ministers who have listened to my experience and have reacted, "How do I get to that? That would be great!"

PRAY FOR MY HEARING
There are many lessons to take away from the week. The most significant lesson that I'm still trying to understand is developing a listening ear for my wife. Call me insecure, stubborn (this is how Trisha & I apparently describe each other--which made us both laugh and laugh as some of the test results were read to us!!), immature, insecure and selfish -- they all fit, but the worst quality by far is failing to make Trisha feel heard. It's hard to admit it even now. But it's the simple truth--and I'm working on figuring out how to do this better. You can pray that God helps me grow in this area.

MY PRAYER FOR THE MEN
My guess is that most guys share this struggle--but don't talk of it much. Most of us guys don't even realize how poorly we listen. If you want more intimacy in your relationship with your wife next week, ask her how you make her feel heard. Notice the next week part--this may be painful for you in the short run. But soon, after you move away from the fortress of defensiveness, you will live in a new land. You'll experience things that you didn't realize you were hungering for...a deeper sense of connectedness...a sweetness in conversations...a hunger to seek God together...a peace in your soul. My prayer for the men of our family is that we would be men that really heard our wives. I'm convinced that there is no way to do this without God's help. I trust that God will also help me hear him and others too.

PRAY FOR SELF-DISCIPLINE
Beyond that lesson, God spoke through the lab experience by letting people recognize my strengths and then coach me on how to turn my weaknesses into competencies. I was encouraged. I was challenged to grow. I was humbled by how much I have to learn about self-discipline. There is much work ahead.

GOD SIZED WORKINGS
Let me also add that God is doing incredible things in His Kingdom. I am so glad I am alive right now, in this moment. Big things are getting big, small things are getting small. I am just stoked that to be a part of His plan! Thanks for your prayers. bw

1 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Thanks for sharing Ben. I have been curious to hear of your impression of the experience. You were so quiet the Thursday night afterward that I knew something significant had taken place. Your words are encouraging. I hope that each one of us will continue to seek God's guidance as to where we fit in the work of advancing the Kingdom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home