Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

leading cell solo w/a newborn & 4 kids

Randy and I met with our zone pastors last Sunday just to talk about cell and how we're not doing such a great job of leading cell right now. They gave us some ideas and mostly encouraged us to get away for a few hours together and pray about what we're supposed to be doing during this season (not sure when we're going to do THAT...). I thought maybe I had been exaggerating about the difficulty of leading right now and then we had cell Wednesday night...

Randy had a mandatory business meeting and cell was scheduled to be at our house. Okay, a bit stressful, but Bertha, the housekeeper-that-I-can't-seem-to-"fire", had been here that a.m., I fed my kids early, the baby was sleeping, McKenna was leading the gang in playing Polly Pockets, and I was totally prepared! A miracle! Unfortunately, cell didn't go so smoothly! I got everyone situated, grabbed the baby and started feeding him a bottle since it didn't seem quite appropriate to nurse while leading a group. Moriah was in her highchair for the icebreaker, but then she was "all done" so I handed Isaac off to someone else and then tried to subtly(sp?) discipline my precious 2-year-old who didn't want to sit in my lap (I'm still "leading" the group, by the way). Then we pray for the kids and they're off to Isaac's room where they will be having kids' cell (there are 7 children). The kids' leader has brought a DVD to watch so I have transported the DVD player into the nursery, but unfortunately Moriah had knocked the player backwards earlier during worship. This means that the DVDs that are already in the machine have been knocked out and are actually inside the player - it won't work. Our zone pastors have actually come to help me out and Todd was leading the discussion time. He is waiting for me to come back, but I let him know I'm going to be a while so he moves on. Meanwhile, I have to take the DVD player apart (we're talking 8-10 screws) to remove the discs inside while the kids are bee-bopping all over Isaac's tiny room! Another cell member brings me Isaac who is crying because she doesn't know what to do with him. About that time I realize that Moriah's last diaper change was at school some time around lunch so I take her and the screaming baby into her room to change both of their diapers (keep in mind here that I'm still "in charge" of the group sitting in the living room). I finally get Moriah changed and back into the kids' room and return to the group where they are discussing something strange - I realize that Todd didn't know I had typed up cell questions because I never had a chance to give them to him so he is winging it (but doing an excellent job)! About this time, RB returns from his meeting and joins us. We split into men and women to pray for each other, etc. and while we're talking one of the women looks at me as I'm standing there doing a little Isaac dance to keep him calm and says, pointing, "Um, there's something wet getting all over your shirt." Yes, I have pee-pee all over my stomach somehow so I leave again to go change my clothes and his, missing the prayer time altogether. By this time, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry! It was hilarious!! Our zone pastors were laughing afterwards and could not really doubt the legitimacy of my cell leading concerns! Todd said he had never seen such "multi-tasking"! The Lord may be telling us that it's time for a little break!

Here's the cool thing - God is teaching me to be content in all circumstances right now. I'm enjoying this chaotic, crazy time more and more. Praise God for big families!! Love you all.

Anda

P.S. Grandma, RB, Dave, and my Dad have almost finished the playground!! Yea! The kids are so excited...does anyone want a Golden Retriever?!

3 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Jill said...

It's amazing to me that you can even write about this without wanting to cry - I guess you have no choice but to laugh! Your big, crazy family is adorable and we love all of you and love hearing about your "adventures," otherwise known as "daily life!"

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

Why is it that I can so vividly picture that scenario? I'm proud of you, sister, for taking on what many women would NEVER do! (Starting with leading a small group in the first place!)
Glad you can laugh!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Mama Brown said...

The funniest thing is that the topic for cell that week was: "Parenting." I think she taught more than she realized that night.
Randy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home