Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mom You're the Best

Mom,
I'm sitting here on Mother's Day watching my kids while Anda is out searching for maternity clothes that cover her body. (If you've shopped for women's clothes lately you may know what I mean.) Anda has my phone, so I can't call Mom until she gets back. So I thought I'd just blog.

Mom, you are a wonderful mom. We had a parenting seminar last weekend, and the lady that taught the class reminded me of you. She raised 6 kids and had lots of good advice. The thing I noticed most was that she was always teaching. I realized that you taught us all the time. You took every chance, whether looking at wildflowers or cleaning a bathroom, to teach us something about life and how to live. I learned more about God as a child than most people learn before they die. Thank you so much for taking the time to think about us in all the little things. It's so easy to just do life and forget to slow down and teach our kids how to live as we go.

I'm convinced that one of the things that sets great moms apart from the rest is that they are always teaching. Great events don't make near as much difference as daily teaching does.

I also really appreciate the way you encourage us. There is a temptation to pretend we are humble parents and minimize the joy we have in our kids. When they are complimented by someone, it seems most humble to point out one of their imperfections. Thank you for being pleased with us, and for letting others know that you are pleased with us. I believe that it is much less prideful to acknowledge the blessing of God in the goodness of our kids than it is to try to downplay how blessed we are to have them. Thanks for everything, Mom. I'm as proud of you as you are of me.

I'm going to go fix dinner for Anda now. I love you Mom.
Randy

2 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger James said...

Rita,

I greatly look forward to seeing you interact with our "Little Peanut". It is such a joy to see you interact with each one of your grandchildren in a unique and special way. April and I are learning greatly from this example, and our prayer is that we show the love of Christ for our child as you have for your children and grandchildren.

God Bless You and Happy Mothers Day!

-James

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Rita said...

Randy,
Thank you so much for the kind comments. You and Anda are doing a great job with your own kids. One of the difficult things about parenting is that you get so little positive feedback when you are in the midst of the battle and feel like you need it most. It is so wonderful to get the feedback even years later from such wonderful kids. I cannot imagine more wonderful kids than I have, which is all the mothers' day gift I want. Mothers' Day is all about you, and I couldn't be more thankful. Someday, you and Anda will be getting those encouraging words about the things you are doing right now. Never doubt that God is faithful and will honor your efforts to teach your children about Him over and over again. I love you, Mom
P.S. I loved the cookbook too!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home