Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Monday, April 04, 2005

Haven't blogged in a while

Well, it has been a while since I posted an update. There are several things I should have written about already but as I said in my other blog, I just kept putting it off one day at a time.

First, Hutton turned 14 last week. 14 isn't a significant milestone. It's not like he is becoming a teenager or getting his license, he's just turning 14. (I guess it's the year he starts High School. That's pretty big.) But he sure is a signficant kid to us. I like everybody to know he is my son. I sure am proud of him. It is fun watching him grow into the man he is going to be. A long time ago, when Bailey and Hutton were small we vowed to each other that we were going to enjoy our kids in every phase of their lives. We had so many parents encouraging us to dread the teen years. We didn't think that was right then and I am more convinced than ever that we can. They, and I am especially thinking about Hutton, have brought more joy to us than I could have imagined.

Hutton finished up his track season last week. Every meet was windy and cold but Hutton was great. He ran the first running event--the 1.5 mile--and the next to last running event--the mile. To watch him we ended up needing to stay for the whole meet which usually started at 3:30 and finished up around 10:30. Hutton's best time in the mile was a 5:42, and his best time in the mile and a half was 8:51. We think he missed the endurance training from soccer but he still finished anwhere from 2nd to 6th in his events. One daywhile Lee Ann and I were working on the treadmills, we cranked up the speed to a 5:41 mile pace. We both lasted about 8 seconds and then flew off the back of the treadmill. I decided not to offer him any advice in that sport. He was great.

Oh, and last week we sold our house. So now we are homeless. We didn't expect to sell it that fast, but the market is really hot right now. We sold it in 10 days. The problem is we are trying to buy in the same hot market. We are looking for someting to fix up and have a place that can be a center for our kids community and ministry. It is dawning on us that we only have 2 years left with Bailey.

By the way, there are 5 minutes left in the game and it is a 1 point game. In one of my brackets I have North Carolina. Go Heels!

Lee Ann is in studying for another test tomorrow. We don't move until May 13, but it looks like we will have to live with Mom and Dad for at least a little while. We sure are wrestling with what to do. We have a house we think we can fix up,. It's in pretty bad shape, but it's close to the school and church and if we can do all we have in mind, we will end up with an ideal floor plan and size. The problem is that the guy who owns it sees the possibilities we see, but he is a bit more optimistic about its current condition. He doesn't appear to want to negotiate very much. There is another house out at Grassland that is a good fit, but we were hoping for something in Alan and Holly's neighborhood. We are gratefull for all the help we are getting from Mom and Dad especially (we wouldn't be considering it without their help.) and also from the rest of the Midland clan (Trisha helped us look at our options this weekend.) It's a family affair. The kids are weighing in too. Reagan seems to think that the most important feature is a seat in the shower. He has suggested several times to our realtor (Lance Brock--another long story of our family ministry, but for another time.) that we make an offer. Today he suggested we offer $135,000 on a cool old Midland house because we needed to update the kitchen and add another bedroom. For an 8 year old, he has a pretty good feel for it.

Oh well. Pray for wisdom. And for the survival of Lee Ann's sanity. So far so good. She has a great attitude and a beautiful spirit about it all. Grace.

All in all

1 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

It sure was fun getting to be part of your house hunt! I'm excited about the possibilities for you. I am confident you'll make a great decision and be able to enjoy your new home for a long time. I know it will be a blessing to many people.

We're supposed to go out to the property of some friends who are about to break ground on a new house tomorrow night. They've asked several people to come and pray over it. They are building to accomodate ministry opportunities, as I know you are. Great stuff...

I, too, am amazed at you, LeeAnn. You seem to be taking it all in stride--a sign of faith, I think! I'm praying for you all through this process and the end of school, but especially for you, LeeAnn.

And I'm so proud of Hutton. Mom and I decided that Elijah looks a lot like Hutton's baby pictures. I think it would be great if he grows up to be as handsome and awesome as his big cousin!

Love you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home