Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

You guys crack me up (and Randy called)

Hey family! I've got to tell you, I usually spend my evenings talking Randy's ear off, but since he's been gone, it's been so comforting and quite entertaining to check the blog every p.m.! I feel that I'm unqualified to make any comments about the whole skiing ordeal - ha! First, I am only an in-law and one without siblings at that, so I cannot even identify with this whole sibling dispute. Second, my one and only experience with skiing was negative to say the least (Freshman year in college, bad boyfriend's dad teaching me how to ski, a bruise the size of Nebraska on my hip by the time it was all over - not pleasant memories). However, 13 years later, I might be persuaded to humiliate myself and abuse my body all over again for the sake of my dear husband and my really cute kids (and because I'm quite certain it would be a hoot with all of you fun people). So there you have it - my unqualified comments on the family ski trip!

On to Randy! I was going to blog this a.m., but ran out of time. He called this morning at 6:30 (7:30 p.m. in Indonesia)! He's doing great. He asked us specifically to pray for miracles. He's concerned that they really don't look any different to the people than any one else does. Language is definitely a barrier - 2 interpreters for the whole team. He says he's praying for the patients, but doesn't have time for much else. While we were talking, he could hear the Muslims chanting at their mosque, located right next to the place where they have their clinic set up. Sobering.
What else did he say? At least half of those coming in are there because of health problems related to loss of a loved one. He said most of the major trauma was over (he sounded a little disappointed about that). I also sensed a little disappointment with the fact that it isn't quite as hard as he thought it would be - ha! Said it was basically like camping out, except for a couple of things. He has to draw his own water from a well for the port-a-potty that he uses. And I didn't quite understand the shower situation, but he mentioned being naked in the middle of the village and having to draw his own water to dump on his head. I didn't get quite clear on that - the phone call was $2/minute so we didn't talk long! Ha! They did make it to the village (whose name he couldn't pronounce) at the right time. A helicopter did end up taking them in so there was no long boat ride (mercy of God)!
That's all I can remember. Bottom line is he is doing well and can't wait to be home (and we can't wait for him to be home! I've got one kid with some weird abdominal muscle pain, one with a swollen eye, and one with a possible ear infection - who am I supposed to ask about all these issues?? Ha! We take him for granted).
I've been lonely. I miss talking with my best friend and just hanging out! The last couple of days have not been particularly easy with the kids. But God is good, His strength is enough, He is faithful, and today was a much better day (just exhausting).

LeeAnn, I don't know how you do it! The Lord's grace is on your life and it really is exciting to see where He is taking you. I will pray for you tonight!

Love,
Anda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home