Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Mom's no-good-horrible-very-bad-day!

You forget. You would think that after 5 babies you would never forget that sometimes seemingly unbearable feeling of hormonal fatigue that overpowers you multiple times a day!! My friend Tiffany says that more hormones are purged with every tear cried - could I possibly have any hormones left? Ha! Malachi, unfortunately, is following in the steps of his siblings and crying - a lot. I asked Randy this a.m. why this one had to be colicky and he said that he doesn't think we make anything else. bummer. Anyway, the sun is up, I've had a shower, and the maid just left, so I can at least feign sanity for several more hours!

Anyway, I ramble. Here are more ramblings. We have had wonderful meals brought to us every other day since his birth - tomorrow is the last day. Most people would think that I have had ample time to recover and that cooking should be a breeze by now. I have vision for it - it's just every time I actually try to make my vision a reality, it's a little tougher than I have anticipated. Randy had 3 "First Priority" meetings yesterday with Bennie Prophet (he'll have to give you the update - they went well, but not sure if it's time for it to happen in FW yet). He, of course, wanted to provide good food for lunch and dinner, so he decided to make pasta salad and taco soup. To his credit, he really did make most of it himself. But Wednesday was Luke's birthday and I decided it would be a great idea to take cookies up to his school and to use them for Randy's lunches on Thursday. How hard can it be to make snickerdoodles, I ask you??!! I had also already committed myself to a homemade red velvet cake, steak, mac & cheese, and salad for his birthday dinner. Let's just say that I've never been such a complete disaster in the kitchen in my LIFE!! We had both already been to the store that a.m. First, I discover that I don't have enough cream of tartar; then I'm not all that with it and put the cinnamon/sugar that you're supposed to roll the cookie dough in in with the dry ingredients. I have to throw the first batch of dry ingredients away. Let's just say that at this point my plans for being done with these cookies before I have to nurse are out the window and I proceed to act like a two-year-old. I kick something across the living room floor, throw myself in the rockiing chair, and weep (my husband is looking on trying to keep a straight face while expressing deep sympathy). He leaves to go to the store and I try to heat up lunch for my little ones - Isaac's stew explodes all over the microwave. After Randy returns, I finally make a couple of pans of cookies - when I'm putting them in the oven, one of them doesn't quite make it in far enough and I dump them on the door of the oven where they proceed to melt. More cookies in the trash. As I get to the end of the bowl, I discover that not all the ingredients got mixed in. More wasted dough. And I just can't stop crying. But Luke gets his birthday cookies. I took them to his school where I was headed early to see the presentation of his hammerhead shark project. I quickly realize that the other parents have worked with their children on their reports a significantly greater number of hours than I worked with my Lukey. It was pitiful and I feel completely responsible. All I could do was hope that maybe he didn't notice that his wasn't quite "up to par". As we're leaving, he says, "Mom, my report was a lot shorter than everyone else's." I offer a weak apology and encourage him that he did a super job! Poor kid.
Because of the disastrous a.m., I have to wait until all my kids are home from school to make the cake. I'm quite scared of my ability to even turn on the oven without burning the house down, but I'm determined. I knew that I should have emphatically made Isaac and Mo leave the kitchen while I made this attempt, but my guilt for already being a frumpy mom made me consent to their "help". I've almost made it to the end of the recipe and I drop an entire egg in the mixing bowl...while it's going. More batter in the trash and I have to start completely over. I started making this lovely red velvet cake at 4:30 pm. It was done sometime after 6:30 p.m. Randy said it was the best cake he'd ever eaten. If he had said anything else, he would have been sleeping in the pavillion at Lake Como.
I'm all about growing in the Lord and being conformed to the image of Christ, but I'm not sure I can endure much more of this character formation! ha! Guess what? Malachi is screaming again, so I must end this post (I know you're breathing a sigh of relief). I'll try to post some pictures soon! He's extremely cute, even when he's screaming.

Jesus is the same yesterday and today and forever - my theme verse right now because I'm not the same from one hour to the next!!

love y'all,
anda

2 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Blogger Trisha said...

I'm laughing and crying. Oh, sweet Anda. You are a mighty woman of God. And you're an incredible Mom--incredible! You had a perfect excuse to buy cupcakes at the grocery store and be done with it, but you not only made a homemade birthday cake, you made homemade cookies for school! I can't believe how committed you were even with all those obstacles! Really, you're amazing, even on your most terrible of days.

And I remember the very sad feeling of the end of the bringing of meals. It has always come too soon, however long it lasted. Lest anyone ever wonders, the gift of a meal is ALWAYS a blessing to families with young kids, isn't it?

We love you all so much! I'm praying for much, much grace and peace in your heart and in your home.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Rita said...

OK, Anda. I LOVED your post. I laughed and laughed and then felt guilty for laughing. I think it tickled memories that I buried long ago in the vault of moments I really want to forget. Oh sweet daughter-in-law--how I love you! You make me so proud. I wish I could be there to be an extra set of hands. Meantime, you remain in my prayers. You are doing a fantastic job, and the joy you will experience some day for all your effort will make your heart throb. Hang in there. Joy cometh. Keep blogging. You can use it to write your book someday. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home