Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Friday, July 27, 2007

Op Camp Como

You'll probably be happy to know that I'm too tired to go into all the thoughts, emotions, etc. of the past week! Ha! But just wanted all of you to know that things went well (you just have to ignore the past 24 hours of fights breaking out about every 10 minutes). Jill, you missed out on ALL the fun! Candice had her own little jail going at the end of camp today!! Thanks for praying for us. Such a blessing to see you last night, Ben and Trisha! I think our overall assessment of this year is that it went smoother because it wasn't the first year and we're beginning to get a clearer vision of what Op Camp Como is supposed to look like. It definitely has a different "personality" than Midland. One short encouraging story and then a few pictures. Last p.m. the counselors were sharing stories from the week and the first one was about Alfonso (one of the Mighty Men). The counselor began by sharing that he had him last year in his cabin and he was one of the worst kids at camp! Last p.m. after a very stressful and high-strung campfire, they were back in their cabin and there was a boy named David who was crying in his bed. The counselors had kept Alfonso and David apart all week because they just didn't get along very well. But Alfonso went over to him, asked him what was wrong and told him that he was "there for him". When the boy wouldn't really respond, Alfonso asked more than once if he could pray for him and then did. There were a few minor incidents with Alfonso this week, but overall, he was a great leader (as were Corey, Dinsdale, Byron, and D'LeeLand, for those of you who know the MM). Just when you think all the time and energy hasn't been worth it, God shows up and gives you a glimpse of the fruit. I'm so proud of my husband. We had great counselors and staff this week, praise God.

Okay, I just spent quite a bit of time picking out pics and then the upload didn't work for some reason - maybe tomorrow! My bed is calling me!

Anda

3 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Randy and Anda - you guys did such a great job at Op camp! I was blown away at the adult staff that you brought - loved Candace - and the kids were precious and challenging all at the same time! Cary and I are really proud of who you are and how you are serving God. We enjoyed seeing you two "in action!"

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

Amen, Jill! It was so fun to see the fruit of their labor at camp, and you and Cary's too! You have poured energy and time and resources into something that I believe God is proud of. The fruit may take a long time to show up by the bushel, but it's growing.

One funny note--our sweet Angela won the final contest of Thursday's talent show at the jr. high camp. I walked in just in time to hear her announced the winner of the "Gallon Challenge" to chug a gallon of milk. Mostly I observed kids throwing up all over the floor. I mean LOTS of kids and LOTS of throw-up. (I can't imagine this happening at any camp Anda has anything to do with...don't expect to see it at Op Camp Como) I don't know when I've ever seen anything so gross! Poor little Addie (Boone) was talking to me as a kid walked out and threw up all over her. But Angela made us proud! (I did have a good visit with her before that, though!)

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Mama Brown said...

Okay, you are so right about NEVER seeing that at Op Camp Como!! You think I'M a crazy fanatic about all those gross stunts, you should hear M.L. Gladney go off about it! I think, in this way at least, I fit in well with African-American culture! Ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home