Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Book Idea

Hi guys,

Cary went to a John Maxwell simulcast in Midland today and got a really good idea. John Maxwell's dad used to pay him money to read great books. We're trying to put together a book list of great, classic books that our kids should read sometime in their childhood/lifetime, etc. In addition to our kids working to earn money, we think we're going to implement a price point/book. We would love your help in coming up with some great books to put on our list. What books did you love as a kid? As an adult? What books really shaped your thinking and who you are? If you get a minute, we'd love to hear from you.

3 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger April Cogburn said...

Here is what books I have come up with. These are for when they are older, at least maybe around Bailey's age. I read these when I was in college or later, but you could make the choice of when if you choose to add them to your list. These books got me thinking.

1. The Testament, by John Grisham

2. The Choice, by Og Mandino

3. Your Greatest Power, by J. Martin Kohe (I had to read this book for a class)

There is another book that Cary had me read one time, but I can't remember the name of it. I want to say it's an Og Mandino book, but I'm not sure. It's about a little boy and baseball. It was really good. I would love to read it again when I learn the name of it.

Of course some of the classics are good to read,

1. Little Women
2. Secret Garden

James really likes the Chronicles of Narnia.

I loved reading The Boxcar Children when I was little. I would read it over and over even though I knew the story by heart.

When I think of some more, I'll let you know.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Mama Brown said...

Hey guys. I have a million I'd love to add to your list, but McKenna wanted me to let you know her all time favorite book for her 9 1/2 years is A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger James said...

Adding to the list:

1. Any of C.S. Lewis
2. Pilgrim's Progress
3. Lucado books
4. The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
5. The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader by John Maxwell

What do you all think about offering leveraged earning for reading the Bible cover to cover multiple times in a year, or maybe NT and OT sections. It doesn't take that long to read the NT. For example, reading NT once is $5; second reading is $10, etc., to encourage more Bible reading. Rapid reading rather than topical or focused has had its own benefit for me. I'm interested in your thoughts about it.

Great idea with the list Cary and Jill. Thanks!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home