Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Bon Voyage, Mimi and Papa!

It's a lovely cruise - I've got my kids, husband, sunny weather, great food, fun activities, my sister and her family, but just one thing missing....Mimi and Papa. My parents missed the boat.

I'm probably still in shock about it, so I'll say it again....MY PARENTS MISSED THE BOAT!!

Due to Southwest Airlines "mechanical problems," my parents missed the Disney bon voyage party on Deck #9. To further complicate things, there is some kind of International Law that prohibits anyone from boarding a cruise boat docked in Key West, FL (could someone work on this crazy law in their spare time? Alan? Anyone?). Disney "people" have transported them and 16 other passengers that missed the boat to Grand Cayman and they will board the boat tomorrow morning.

I got an email from my dad and they are having a glorious "second honeymoon" in Grand Cayman and wondering how they could have planned it any better.

My parents were actually very close to making the boat - they were boarded on a Disney Bus and could actually see the ship as it was pulling away. Meanwhile, my kids and my nephews were looking back at the dock, waving, "Goodbye, Mimi and Papa!" Within a few minutes all of the kids were distracted and having a great time. I, on the other hand, was too devestated to speak! I was in shock about it for the first day until I heard what a great time my parents were having - they were "living it up!"

So I got over it - moved on - and have really enjoyed the cruise. We had a great day in Key West yesterday. We rented a little six-seater electric car (big no-no for CEO oil man), and hung out at the beach - had Key Lime pie and a few limeades.

So my parents missing the boat would qualify as one of those hillarious disasters. I was stuck between wanting to cry about it, or then....should I laugh? I kind of felt like doing both at the same time! Does anyone know this weird feeling?

I'll try to blog later in the week to finish out the saga and see if my parents can make the boat this next time, or if they mysteriously disappear to St. Barts.

3 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

OH MY STARS! What a memory--one that will go down in the record books for years to come. Enjoy the warm temps, we're setting record lows for consecutive days of winter in the Permian Basin. Better keep tabs on Mimi and Papa once they are on the boat, especially the off shore excursions!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Rita said...

Oh Jill! What do you do when Plan A is now Plan G or H??? What a huge adjustment. I'm glad you decided to do more laughing than crying, although I can certainly understand the latter. Hopefully your parents will finally be delivered on board like my suitcases--a little late, but a wonderful, welcome sight. Can't wait to hear all about it. FYI--I am watching LGCY trading in the final minutes. It is up nicely at this point. What fun!!!

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

I can't believe they missed the boat! How frustrating. I'm glad you're all able to laugh a little--more when you actually see them, I'm sure! We're thinking of you and hoping you are enjoying some relaxing, some fun and some joy in just being together. Alex sure misses Josh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home