Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Vegas, Baby.

For Christmas, Cary & I gave trips to our older kids. It's actually just a selfish way for Cary & I to travel all in the name of good parenting. Mitch went hunting, and the girls got a trip to Las Vegas (that's where the selfish part comes in, but I would like to go on record to say that Cary did NOT bring his golf clubs - his request was denied).

Since Ashley knew she would be going to Las Vegas, she picked Nevada for her state report and told the entire second grade class that she was going to "Sin City." I think she got confused when Cary jokingly told her the state motto was "sin city." This story was confirmed from several reliable second-grade sources.

We recovered, and were able to go on a great trip this weekend. Our favorite thing was defintely the "O" show. It's too strange to describe, but it's all done over and around a tank of water - very interesting and very beautiful to watch. All the music is live and in Italian & French. For my west Texas Chicks, it's as close to "culture" as they have ever seen - they loved it.

Speaking of culture, there is quite a bit in Vegas. People watching is a prime sport in this town, and can also get you in big trouble! Vegas is fun to visit - the architecture, lights, intersting shows, beautiful gardens, but to live there day in & day out would be tough. My very basic summation: Vegas is man's feeble attempt to create heaven on earth. Sad thing is that many people believe it is. All of man's God-given desires totally misplaced, misdirected, misunderstood, and misused all wrapped up in lights.

I felt sad when I saw all the hurting, broken people around me. A middle aged woman mindlessly spending the day behind a slot machine, a beautiful drunk woman crying outside our hotel lobby, guys looking at girls, girls attracting guys. Lost people, and I'm just like them - one breath of grace away from falling into a lost world. Gratifying myself looks different than the people in Vegas, but it's the same idol.

When I looked at the brokeness around me, my first instinct was to judge - how horrible. Then looked & listened a little deeper - how sad. Jesus loves these people & they don't know Him and what am I doing about it? Very little.

I was reminded of one of God's messages that Mike Cope shared in Midland - be faithful. A lost city is overwhelming. Be faithful. Be salt - a little goes a long way. Be light - like a tiny star in a dark sky. Be faithful.

I enjoyed my family and we thanked God for everything beautiful we saw, ate & experienced. I am still praying to be faithful in little so He can use me more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home