Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Mighty Man Math Retreat - WHEW!

Well, it's hard to know what to say about our weekend at the lake with 9 of the theoretical 12 Mighty Men. I'm listening to RB snore loudly from the bedroom right now - he's pretty wiped out. I guess it went well, but to be honest, I think we may not see how much of this mattered until we're with Jesus!! While we know that's not really true, it does feel like we're trying to run up a mountain of ice much of the time. There were definitely some improvements over the last retreat at the lake. They are growing up - there was more of a sense of dealing with teenagers who were slightly calmer this time. They ARE learning to get along with each other (although I wish I could say that was happening at a much faster rate). And I guess no one tried to get into a fight this time. There are some of them that are SO sweet that you could eat them for dessert! (By the way, Jill, did you hear that Deontay - "little d" - is one of the new MM? I think you'll be fighting several people over his "adoption") And some of them are so "bad" that you often want to drag them by their ankles for a few hours behind the jet ski! There is one in particular that I have never really connected with and don't really like that much. God gave me a sweet love for him this weekend. I learned that his dad is in prison and that this boy is very accustomed to failing. He is going into 7th grade and can hardly do his multiplication facts. He was one of the only ones who failed to get up on the knee board (he finally did and the rope broke - bummer). Anyway, I found myself longing for him to be successful...but I have 5 1/2 kids of my own and he doesn't even live in Como. There is simply not enough time to give all these boys the time, attention, education, and love that they need. Tonight they went home to their own homes. Sometimes I wonder what we think we're doing.
BUT (praise God there is always a "but") God is faithful to keep encouraging us. Randy was saying tonight that he is AMAZED at the people that God has brought and keeps bringing to help us. God really does pick some of the most unlikely candidates. And Trisha was amazing as usual! I know that there must be equally as gifted teachers out there in the world, but I haven't met many! Thank you, Trisha, for all your sleepless nights and countless hours of work on this retreat. Thanks for caring about and loving these boys. They adore you. And thanks, Ben, for spending so much time being Uncle Ben this weekend and for leading probably the best worship time these boys have ever had together (we could have really used you this a.m. - it was uninspiring to say the least! ha!). Your time and energy is equally appreciated! And Grandma and Grandpa were BIG hits again. What these kids know is that you love them and are willing to let them be a part of your family. I don't know if you caught that in Alfonso's prayer this morning, but he prayed something about "our family". The lake house has provided a safe place where they experience family in a way that they are completely unfamiliar with. Not many people would be willing to invite the MM to share in their blessings in the way that you both have. Thank you. (I'm beginning to feel like I've won an Oscar - I think I'll stop with the thanks. Ha.)

All that to say, our family sat around worshipping listening to Rita Springer's song, "Worth it All" tonight. We hold on to the truth that it really is "gonna be worth it all". The gospel works here or God is a liar. I have no other place to go with all that we're seeing.

love all of you,
Anda

p.s. Rita, we can have a race to see who will get some pics on here first. I'm betting it won't be me.

1 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Randy & Anda, I'm amazed at what God is doing through you guys. You are absolutely courageous in taking these boys lives on to love and lead.

It's really great to see you grow in Christ through this call. Christ is so evident in your peace and gentleness. I really admire that about you guys--and I'm really proud to be part of your family too.

Never give up! bw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home