Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Wow! What a birthday!

I am still reeling from my 60th birthday yesterday. I don't have words to express to my family all that is in my heart. Last night was beyond anything I could have imagined. I guess I thought I would blow out a "few" candles, sing Happy Birthday to Allison and the two of us would pull out the colored tissue paper and "ooh" and "aah" over the contents of a few gift sacks. I did blow out some candles and sing to Allison, but beyond that it was an overwhelming flood of surprises. The incredible life-size bronze sculpture of the children on the park bench is absolutely beautiful. Of course the theme of children goes straight to my heart. I can gaze at it for hours, and it just seems to touch the theme of my life.

The gift of the charms was simply overwhelming. I could not fathom that each person could find a different charm that was so meaningful to our relationship. I recited every charm and its sentiment on the way home with Dale. Each one is a treasure to me. (I can't wait to get the rest.) This morning I put them all on the bracelet, remembering again the sweet words of each person. Right now I can tell you every charm and what each person said. (I only wish it had been videoed, so that the sweet voices of each one could have been recorded forever.) Each child's thoughts were so special--so personal. The teapot, the football, the puppy paw, the present, the butterfly, the artist palette, the stocking, the soccer ball, the frog, the shoe, the heart with footprints, the rolling pin, the mustang, the seadoo, the princess--I am simply blown away. I think it has to be the best "group" gift I have ever received. To have the children each presenting me with something that was special to them was beyond wonderful. To hear the words of my adult children expressed was--I just can't think of words to express my heart. All I can say is thank you to each one of you and thank you, thank you, thank you to our Father in Heaven for the amazing gift of this family in my life--EACH ONE of you.

Then, the red book of letters came. I can't even begin to tell you the impact that had on me. After I got home I began to read. At first I smiled. Then, my eyes began to water. Soon the tears were running down my cheeks. But when I got to the letters from my family, I was sobbing. I crawled in bed with Dale about midnight still sobbing. The emotions that were touched by the kind and generous words of friends and family are too deep to describe. God used words that touched responsive chords in my heart that only He could have known about. I read most last night, and finished this morning--still crying. I don't know what to say. I know I don't deserve such praise, but I also know that God used your words as a means to bestow a blessing from Him that I could never have imagined. I am still processing, and maybe I can write more later.

I mainly just want to say thank you for all everyone did to make my 60th birthday the most incredible birthday I have ever had. (--right up there with my 11th birthday when my big sister, Dot, gave me a yellow cardigan sweater, took me out to dinner and then up to the top of the Cortez Hotel in the glass elevator, and splurged to buy me a coke for 50 cents.) I am looking forward to my weekend with "my girls"--my sweet friends. I am more than anything absolutely humbled by your generosity, your kindness, and your love. You have all touched the deepest part of my heart, and I have been impacted more than I can ever remember. Thank you.


P.S. On my bed last night was a beautifully wrapped box from Dale with a certificate for a "nice little watch" which will be here in the next few days. As all of you know, the man just flat spoils me rotten. I also enjoyed a lunch he arranged with the Coffmans and the Adams. A beautiful bouquet of flowers arrived in the afternoon. My man!!!

1 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Jill said...

you deserve it all.
cb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home