Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Aunt Hellen

My great aunt, Hellen Scales, lived most of her life in Sweetwater. She moved to assisted living in Abilene in '95. April and I would go visit her at the Sears Methodist center on 10th Street. She lived there up until the holidays when she went into the hospital. She was in the process of moving into a full nursing situation when she went back into Hendricks late last week.

She was always upbeat and had an independent flare, her term being "spunk". At 95, she still was alert, although April and I could tell she was declining in the hospital when we visited just before New Years. She outlived both of her children and her husband Claude, a WWII colonel who survived Bataan and POW camps.

April and I will definitely miss her, but my mother will miss her the most. She was closest and is the executrix. Please pray for my mother for peace and for safe travel. Both parents woke up this morning in McAllen, and mom will be in Sweetwater tonight after dropping by Brownwood, all car miles.

The funeral is in Sweetwater tomorrow at 3 pm, most likely at the McCoy's funeral home, although it may be at the 4th & Elm church. The details are still being finalized. She was associated with the Baker Heights church in Abilene. I think Bill Baskett will be performing the service. His son Mike is the youth minister at 4th & Elm.

April and I will not be able to attend. I'm still feeling some shock right now and some helplessness at not being able to go.

Thank you for the support, encouragement, and love. I'll pass them on to the family. I don't have access to mom's recently changed e-mail address. I'll pass that along this evening or tomorrow.

Please pray for me tonight for peace and focus as I am still teaching on 1Cor. 13.

Love you guys!

-James

3 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, Blogger Jill said...

James,
She sounds like a great lady. I am sorry for your loss. hang in there. You and April are in our prayers.
cb

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

She does sound like quite a woman. We're so sorry for you and for your mom, James. We will be praying for you, especially for peace tomorrow.

We love you both.
Trisha

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Ben said...

James, may God comfort you and your family in this loss. What a blessing to know "spunky" women! They make life a lot of fun. love, bw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home