Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Malachi

As most of you know now, we are thrilled to have another precious baby boy in the family. Thankfully, Malachi John arrived 2 weeks early. Dale and I got back about 10:30 Saturday night after spending a long weekend in Fort Worth celebrating my birthday and spending time with Randy and Anda's family. Apparently Anda went into early labor shortly after we left. (In-laws' visits can be stressful, I guess.) While in Ft Worth we got to attend Josiah and McKenna's musical, "The Wizard of Oz," twice and see Josiah play basketball. We finished with Mexican food at Pappasitos. (Maybe that did it.)

Sunday after church we had a message from Anda that she had been having contractions since Saturday during the night, but she still wasn't positive she was in labor. We visited several times during the day while I tried to decide whether to get on a plane, jump in the car, or have a Superbowl Party. I opted for the Superbowl party with the phone close by and Justin, the pilot, on notice.

After the party (and a very good Superbowl game I might add) I visited with Randy who said nothing had changed--contractions still coming but not strong and not close. After visiting with Otis and Ann we decided to go to bed and get up early to drive. Randy said she was in early labor, but it could be any time in the next two days. Five minutes later he called back and said it was probably time to come--everything was picking up the pace. On the way to the airport he called to say they were leaving for the hospital.

Justin got us to Fort Worth a little after midnight. At the hospital things were progressing nicely, but nothing urgent. Unfortunately, after they gave her the epidural and another shot to help with deadening the side that always resists the epidural, everything just went into holding pattern. We stayed with her all night thinking that with #6 she could go fast when she "kicked in" again. At about 8 am the doctor broke her water. At about 9 am they started pitocin. Still about the same--contractions about 7-10 minutes apart and dilation very, very slow if anything.

They finally kept increasing the pitocin until she finally "kicked in" but the epidural had worn off. Anda toughed it out and we finally got our little man at 12:14 in the afternoon. Ann and I got to be in the delivery room, and it was so thrilling. I cry at sit-com births, so you can imagine the emotions at the birth of my grandbaby.

He weighed in at a whopping 9 pounds 11 ounces--a family record I think--22 inches long. He already has creases in his thighs. He is still a tiny, precious newborn though. He snuggles perfectly.

One of the thoughts that just kept going through my mind was a picture of Connor holding Olivia, examining each little finger. He loved babies. It is hard to think that he won't get to hold Malachi. I just have to imagine him loving him from above.

Larissa drove my car here last night and she and the grandpas flew home this morning. Ann and I are sharing kid duties. Anda should come home tomorrow (Wednesday). I think back often to my days with six kids. I really wonder how I did it. These sure are fun kids though.

Well, I must close this lengthy blog. I still have to get pictures printed for the kids to take to school tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home