Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Longest Family Night - EVER

We had a great weekend at the lake with our friends, Will, Kerri, Davis, Peyton, Sarah, and baby Kate Lunsford. Will and Cary have been friends over 20 years (sounds old, we are old). They always have a great time re-living their “glory days” at ACU. It was fun this trip to hear our kids share memories about our family trips that we've taken together – we hope to have a lot more!

On Monday, we had done all of the family holiday things you can think of – watched a Christmas movie, read books, worked puzzles, played hide-n-go seek, baked and decorated a ridiculous amount of sugar and gingerbread cookies, etc. It was finally time to play a board game. Since we were all kind of tired of “marathon” monopoly, I suggested the Chicken Foot domino game. It’s obvious I haven’t played that in a while since I had forgotten that the average time to complete a game is 3.2 hours which includes the time that it takes to find all the dominoes to make a complete set – makes Monopoly look like an appetizer.

It didn't take long before we suggested that we skip every other level to go a little faster. About 1 hour into the game, I start to lose it. Mitch, who is sitting next to me, has a severe case of the “taps.” Tap the table, tap the dominoes, tap his foot on my chair, tap to the beat of the “boom-chick” rap-song he made-up. My nerves are feeling unsettled.

Emily, who is in the life-long process of learning how to cope with an older brother, is starting to blow steam out of her nostrils. There is a quiet-before-the-storm-look on her hot, red face. Every comment Mitch makes could be his last.

Each time I look at Ashley, she has re-arranged her dominoes into a new geometrical pattern. At Matrix-like speed, I actually never see her re-arrange her dominoes. Of course, the dominoes are all face down, so she must look at each domino before she chooses which one she will play.

Josh and Cary are sitting to my left, and about every 4 min. Cary grimaces and asks Josh if he’s sure he doesn’t have to go to the bathroom.

At some point, the inevitable breakdown occurs. Cary and I turn on each other over the “domino-laid-is-a-domino-played” rule. Our kids think that when we fight it is the ultimate in entertainment – “Pass the popcorn! The Show has started!” This is the point in the night when I mentally start to quote scripture, but it’s coming to my mind all “twisted,” like, “Be slow to anger, and quick to speak-up when someone is hiding a domino on the floor.”

The Ray Coniff singers are belting out “Silent Night,” I’m panicking – feeling trapped – wait-----am I on reality TV?

Eventually, I go through the full process of snapping at everybody for irritating me, to the complete surrender at the insanity of it all – my irritation included. We look hilarious.

3.2 hours later (note to self: do not suggest the game where you put the dominoes back in the case at the end which takes another 45 min.), our nerves are raw and frazzled. Cary and I send our kids to bed and tell them that this is the last “family time” we’re having for a month. Secretly, we agree-about TWO months.

Yep, we’re all warmed up for the approaching holidays. God bless “family time,” and good luck finding where I hid the Chicken Foot dominoes this year.

8 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger LeeAnn said...

Too funny! Sounds like our last few family nights...good to know we aren't especially awful! (just average awful!) That's not what I told my kids though;) Between Reagan complaining about someone chewing too loudly, Connor not liking the dinner, Hutton egging them both on and Bailey trying not to laugh at them all...I almost give up but not quite. Really I'm going to miss our Wednesday nights together...it has been a great blessing for our too busy family. Great post Jill.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Mama Brown said...

Okay Jill!! Thanks for the entertaining blog! I have a feeling if we all compared notes on "family" nights we'd all have similar experiences! Can't wait to see you this weekend,
Anda

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Rita said...

Jill, I almost rolled in the floor with laughter. I had been complaining to Dale that no one seemed to be blogging, and then came yours. I laughed because it described to a T feelings I have had and everyone else. Maybe that is why I have no angelic memories of "family times". Your description is classic, and I will surely read it in Ladies' Class someday (with your permission). I think you should submit it to Christian Woman for publication. Thanks for your precious candid description of true family life.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Great post, but you forgot the most important part: Who won?

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a laughing so hard! I think family nights are sort of like camping. The idea is great, but somewhere in the middle of it you think--What were we thinking!!! What sweet memories and the day will come where we miss those long family nights! Love you--looking forward to family time this weekend!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger James said...

You know how reassuring this is to a new parent. ;o) I look forward to similar family times, I think.

Seriously, I will appreciate the good and the bad that comes with rearing Lena, and the others that follow. I know that as each time I gaze down into her precious little blue eyes, as I did this morning, that she deserves the full measure of love, care, and happiness that we can provide. What a precious blessing from the Lord! I can't wait to share her with you all this weekend.

Until then, peace, blessings, (and short checkout lines).

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Thanks, guys, for the encouraging posts! Alan, Cary took great pride that night in the fact that he and Josh won the game (beat me out in the last round). He also beat us in Monopoly, and beat the kids playing ping pong - can you tell we both have some slightly competitive issues?

Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend - esp. Isaac & Lena!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

I'm crying from laughter! Way to real and close to home! I love it! (I, too, was about to post a blog complaining that no one was blogging!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home