Brown Family Blog

This is the online journal of the Dale and Rita Brown Family.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Happy Mother's Day!

Mom,
I intended to write this before today, but it slipped past me. I am so grateful for you. There are so many ways that you have blessed me as my mom. The other night I told Lee Ann that she was a great mother and she asked me why I thought so. For the next few minutes and then for the next day or so I thought of the reasons I appreciate her as a mother. That made me think of some things I love about Mom.

I love:

How loved I feel from you. I am sometimes tagged as optimistic. I don't see very many hurdles that are unsurmountable. I think it is because you believed in me so much.

Your wisdom. You have pursued it all you life so now it is a treasure you own. I find myself teaching what was handed down to me from my mother.

Your laughter. I love that you love to have fun.

You insist on family. I remember being forced to take vacations so that we could be together as a family. My identity if connected with that sense. I think I look at the world differently because of it.

You love Dad. I can't even imagine life without that sense of security.

Your romantic idealism. I don't mean just in matters of love. You have a sense of the ideal home, lake house, tea party, Christmas gathering, etc. It has made for some wonderful moments.

Your humility and flexibility when romantic idealism is idealistic. When it doesn't go exactly as planned you can roll with the punches. It has made for some wonderful moments.

Your love for Jesus. This set me apart from my peers and gave me freedom to follow him instead of just going to church.

Your sense of freedom in Jesus. I love that I can go where God leads and not be afraid of losing you. We don't always love the same things (our taste in religious music for instance, or Kathy Lee for that matter) but we are still on the journey to heaven together. I love that.

I could go on. Perhaps others will add to the list. Thanks for being my mom.
Grace,
Tod

2 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Rita said...

Tod, you sure do know how to make mama cry. Thank you from my heart for your kind and generous words. I am truly humbled. I am so thankful to have you as my son. I am looking forward to having your family and working on the project of your Extreme Home Makeover. I love you, mom

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Alan said...

Well said Tod. Mom, you are the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home